POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : DVD image sizes Server Time
17 May 2024 08:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  DVD image sizes (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Dan Byers
Subject: DVD image sizes
Date: 19 Sep 2006 21:55:00
Message: <web.45109e301db0b02fb45424d70@news.povray.org>
Probably a stupid question, but it wouldn't be the first time, so here
goes...

In the next month or two, I will finally be acquiring a DVD burner for my
poor little G3, and one of the first things I want to do after I get it is
put together a DVD with all the movies I've created to date.  Some of my
movie's are shot at 16:9 aspect ratio, others at 4:3, all of them were
rendered with a width of 320 pixels.  Obviously, this won't do for DVD --
therefore, I must re-render everthing.

My question for those who've created DVDs is what is the optimum image size
to render at?  This is assuming NTSC settings, which I think are 720 x 480,
but that's a 3:2 aspect ratio, which will make my movies look stupid (well,
more so than they already are...). Of
course, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so if some kind soul could
possibly point my clueless brain in the right direction, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks kindly in advance :)

--
Dan
GoofyGraffix.com

Post a reply to this message

Le 09/20/2006 03:51 AM, Dan Byers nous fit lire :
> Probably a stupid question, but it wouldn't be the first time, so here
> goes...
>
> In the next month or two, I will finally be acquiring a DVD burner for my
> poor little G3, and one of the first things I want to do after I get it is
> put together a DVD with all the movies I've created to date.  Some of my
> movie's are shot at 16:9 aspect ratio, others at 4:3, all of them were
> rendered with a width of 320 pixels.  Obviously, this won't do for DVD --
> therefore, I must re-render everthing.
>
> My question for those who've created DVDs is what is the optimum image size
> to render at?  This is assuming NTSC settings, which I think are 720 x 480,
> but that's a 3:2 aspect ratio, which will make my movies look stupid (well,
> more so than they already are...). Of
> course, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so if some kind soul could
> possibly point my clueless brain in the right direction, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

720x480 NTSC (at ~30fps) is DVD... of course 720x480 is 3:2 with
square pixel, but the DVD pixels are not square!
The setting 16:9 or 4:3 is a field in the header of the movie.

Also, to make DVD, encoding must be Mpeg-2, with a limit bitrate of
10Mbps (sound included, if any).

Making the menu of the DVD is the hardest part: playing movie
streams is very easy!

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.

Post a reply to this message