POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Flickering flick help! Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:39:31 EDT (-0400)
  Flickering flick help! (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Flickering flick help!
Date: 28 Feb 2006 10:12:12
Message: <4404684c$1@news.povray.org>
> Any wisdoms?

Well, what do you expect with such a texture? You do know that most, if not
all, video-codecs subdivide the image into cubes of something like 2x2, 4x4,
8x8 etc.

Depending on the codec, these blocks then get various compression based upon
the color-changes, frequency etc, additionally based upon the change from
frame to frame. With such high frequency noise, you won't get anywhere
decent without an incredible bitrate and insane non-compression. That's at
least how far I've come with Freeware codecs. Divx, Xvid etc might have some
options available for cases as these, but I rarely see such detailed
textures in shorts or movies that I'm not sure even they can do something
about it. It's far more common that the detailed background is *motionless*,
thus requiring just a few frames to build up properly and then stay that
way.

Note that this comment is entirely subjective and based upon my knowledge of
a few different codecs. There might be a codec suited for exactly what
you're after, and uses the proper way to encode it, but generally,
high-noise (as in frequent color-changes from pixel to pixel) is hard to
compress, even for still images, so it's worse in an animation.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> > Any wisdoms?
>
> Well, what do you expect with such a texture? You do know that most, if not
> all, video-codecs subdivide the image into cubes of something like 2x2, 4x4,
> 8x8 etc.

That sounds a bit hash, for you Tim.
In the snipit RusHHouR posted, it is the text object that is moving and the

I do agree that the texture is not suitable for an animation and he should
use a less noisy one.

Post a reply to this message