POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Flickering flick help! : Re: Flickering flick help! Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:52:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flickering flick help!
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 Feb 2006 10:12:12
Message: <4404684c$1@news.povray.org>
> Any wisdoms?

Well, what do you expect with such a texture? You do know that most, if not
all, video-codecs subdivide the image into cubes of something like 2x2, 4x4,
8x8 etc.

Depending on the codec, these blocks then get various compression based upon
the color-changes, frequency etc, additionally based upon the change from
frame to frame. With such high frequency noise, you won't get anywhere
decent without an incredible bitrate and insane non-compression. That's at
least how far I've come with Freeware codecs. Divx, Xvid etc might have some
options available for cases as these, but I rarely see such detailed
textures in shorts or movies that I'm not sure even they can do something
about it. It's far more common that the detailed background is *motionless*,
thus requiring just a few frames to build up properly and then stay that
way.

Note that this comment is entirely subjective and based upon my knowledge of
a few different codecs. There might be a codec suited for exactly what
you're after, and uses the proper way to encode it, but generally,
high-noise (as in frequent color-changes from pixel to pixel) is hard to
compress, even for still images, so it's worse in an animation.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"