POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Camera behavior when translated Server Time
17 May 2024 06:42:56 EDT (-0400)
  Camera behavior when translated (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Raffles
Subject: Camera behavior when translated
Date: 11 Dec 2005 01:00:00
Message: <web.439bbfad46e787b58c05ac540@news.povray.org>
I am trying to do an animation, a fly through. This is nothing complicated.
I want to move from one point higher and out further to a point closer to
the origin along a straight line. If I render just a single first scene, it
looks fine. The camera observes the look_at vector just fine. When I render
another single image with the camera repositioned at the end point again
the look_at vector is treated properly. The look_at point does not change
during the entire animation. My translation for the animation works except
the look_at point is not adjusted as the camera's point of view drops lower
in the scene.

I've been looking for another message with info on something like this and
find information for following more complex paths thru the space, as along
a spline, but I didn't want to employ such a complex figure just yet. I am
sure this question has been asked before and so I apologize to the group
for my impatience and inability to turn up the proper info in a search.

Thanks for any info anyone may have.

Oh yeah, here's the camer I have set up...

  camera {
    location <0.50, 16.00, -29.00>
    look_at  <1.0, 1.5, 2 >
    translate <0.0, -0.175*(10*clock), +0.125*(10*clock)>
  }

Raffles

Post a reply to this message

hmm. not sure about this maybe try this (untested):

camera {
     location <0.50, 16.00, -29.00>+<0.0, -0.175*(10*clock),
+0.125*(10*clock)>
     look_at  <1.0, 1.5, 2 >
   }

i guess when you declare the look_at value and afterwards reposition the
camera the look_at point moves with it.
but i can't figure out why the look_at point was proper in your former
renderings mentioned.

just my 2 cents
Roman

"Raffles" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I am trying to do an animation, a fly through. This is nothing complicated.
> I want to move from one point higher and out further to a point closer to
> the origin along a straight line. If I render just a single first scene, it
> looks fine. The camera observes the look_at vector just fine. When I render
> another single image with the camera repositioned at the end point again
> the look_at vector is treated properly. The look_at point does not change
> during the entire animation. My translation for the animation works except
> the look_at point is not adjusted as the camera's point of view drops lower
> in the scene.
>
> I've been looking for another message with info on something like this and
> find information for following more complex paths thru the space, as along
> a spline, but I didn't want to employ such a complex figure just yet. I am
> sure this question has been asked before and so I apologize to the group
> for my impatience and inability to turn up the proper info in a search.
>
> Thanks for any info anyone may have.
>
> Oh yeah, here's the camer I have set up...
>
>   camera {
>     location <0.50, 16.00, -29.00>
>     look_at  <1.0, 1.5, 2 >
>     translate <0.0, -0.175*(10*clock), +0.125*(10*clock)>
>   }
>
> Raffles

Post a reply to this message