POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Re: camera-spline behaves weird Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: camera-spline behaves weird (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: glenn xnhase
Subject: Re: camera-spline behaves weird
Date: 16 Jun 2004 22:00:08
Message: <web.40d0f797ae1c7fd1e2f575410@news.povray.org>
Are you using colefax's spline.mcr package?  Can you provide the data points
and options used to create the spline?  Where along the path (between what
data points) does the problem occur?

I've been dealing with some spline problems that sound similar to yours.  My
data points should have described essentially straight line motion with
some rather lazy curves side to side, but spline.mcr seemed to want to add
a loop (yes, it reversed direction) in the middle of the spline.  To add to
the frustration, the loop was so squeezed in the side-to-side direction it
wasn't apparent during the spline preview.  I think part of my problem was
using data points with very irregular separation.  In the straighter
sections data points were separated by many tens of units; in the more
curved sections they were separated by only a few units.  This, I think,
allowed an opportunity for the calculated spline to loop in the large gaps.
 Adjusting the spline tension seemed to help, but I'm not sure why.  I hope
to get some help with my problem (see my recent post regarding spline
spacing), also.

Good luck!

Glenn C.

Post a reply to this message

"glenn_xnhase" <xnh### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Are you using colefax's spline.mcr package?  Can you provide the data points
> and options used to create the spline?  Where along the path (between what
> data points) does the problem occur?
>
> I've been dealing with some spline problems that sound similar to yours.  My
> data points should have described essentially straight line motion with
> some rather lazy curves side to side, but spline.mcr seemed to want to add
> a loop (yes, it reversed direction) in the middle of the spline.  To add to
> the frustration, the loop was so squeezed in the side-to-side direction it
> wasn't apparent during the spline preview.  I think part of my problem was
> using data points with very irregular separation.  In the straighter
> sections data points were separated by many tens of units; in the more
> curved sections they were separated by only a few units.  This, I think,
> allowed an opportunity for the calculated spline to loop in the large gaps.
>  Adjusting the spline tension seemed to help, but I'm not sure why.  I hope
> to get some help with my problem (see my recent post regarding spline
> spacing), also.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Glenn C.

Sorry.  But this should not have been posted as a new thread.  I've
resubmitted it as a proper reply to that earlier post.

GAC