POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Flying over mountainous terrain Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Flying over mountainous terrain (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Flying over mountainous terrain
Date: 16 Apr 2000 06:59:12
Message: <38f99d00@news.povray.org>
http://hometown.aol.com/persistenceofv/mountainscene.mpg   567KB Mpeg animation.

It's an old subject.  A little newer is the slope-dependent texturing made
possible in MegaPov.  I've skipped using the 'hf_height_at' keyword so far but I
might give that a try in this animation later.   I noticed something bad about
the height fields, something mentioned a few times before maybe but too long ago
for me to remember.  There were invisible pixels scattered throughout, as if in
a grid much smaller than the dimension of each height field, most noticeable
looking more directly down onto them.
The slope texture hasn't been easy for me to learn and I'm still confused by it.
This Mpeg was done with VideoMach2 for the small file size but its compression
shows.  However those are very thin clouds you will see thanks to a turbulent
ground fog and not just artifacts.

Anything to ask or tell, go ahead.

Bob
--