POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : particle_system movie Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  particle_system movie (Message 21 to 25 of 25)
From: Pabs
Subject: Re: particle_system movie
Date: 6 Jul 2000 01:09:39
Message: <396414C4.B17FD9F4@nospamthanks.hotmail.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3962B4A1.A300F52D@nospamthanks.hotmail.com>, Pabs
> <pab### [at] nospamthankshotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > How about an object emitter where particles are emitted in the
> > direction of the surface normal and a speed specified by a
> > pattern/function.  The emmission points on the surface could be
> > sampled by tracing rays from a point & or direction toward that
> > object- kind of like how photons are done.
>
> I have been wondering about this...I just haven't thought of a good way
> of implementing it. It should be quite possible by specifying a point to
> sample surface positions from, as you suggest...but that would only
> cover part of the object. I could shoot at the center of the object's
> bounding box from random points on the surface of a sphere around
> it...but that would only give an even emission distribution for
> spherical objects, and parts of the object could be "hidden" from the
> particles by other parts. Would anyone notice?

It probably wouldn't be noticed unless someone used a noise3d isosurface as
the emitter.
BUT...
You could get _all_ intersections with each sampling ray - so that if you
hit a surface you keep tracing the _same_ ray until no more surfaces are hit
and therefore no parts of the object could be "hidden" from the particles by
other parts of the object.

Also what about a pattern that is the average particle density (or particle
collision density with the object whose pattern is being determined) in the
vicinity of the intersection point.  The particle(collision) density would
be the # of particles/collision points per unit space in the vicinity of the
intersection point or the addition of blob fields around all the
particles/collision points.
This could be used to visualize the drag on an airplane or fluid density or
other stuff.

Bye
Pabs

Post a reply to this message

<pab### [at] nospamthankshotmailcom> wrote:

> It probably wouldn't be noticed unless someone used a noise3d
> isosurface as the emitter. BUT... You could get _all_ intersections
> with each sampling ray - so that if you hit a surface you keep
> tracing the _same_ ray until no more surfaces are hit and therefore
> no parts of the object could be "hidden" from the particles by other
> parts of the object.

Hmm, that could work, though I would have to save the points for later
use, kind of like a large number of point emitters...how should I take
the samples, though? If I take them from the surface of a sphere toward
the center of the bounding box, there will be a serious tendency for the
center of the object unless it is hollow and fairly spherical. Maybe if
I took them from the three sides of a box...along each coordinate axis,
in other words.

> Also what about a pattern that is the average particle density (or
> particle collision density with the object whose pattern is being
> determined) in the vicinity of the intersection point.  The
> particle(collision) density would be the # of particles/collision
> points per unit space in the vicinity of the intersection point or
> the addition of blob fields around all the particles/collision
> points. This could be used to visualize the drag on an airplane or
> fluid density or other stuff.

This actually existed in the first versions of my patch, in fact, it was
*the* first version of my patch, but I have removed it because it was
too difficult to maintain while the rest of the patch was changing so
rapidly...I do plan on replacing it, however.
Hmm, particle density...I hadn't thought of that. I will need to write a
function to compute this for particle fission/fusion anyway, so might as
well include it...
BTW, one other problem with the particle_system pattern was that it was
slow, since all the particles had to be calculated. I plan on adding a
bounding structure based on recursively subdividing boxes(I think it is
called an octree...) or planes(I have no idea what this is called) to
speed up inter-particle force calculations, so that should really speed
up the patterns...

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Hmm, that could work, though I would have to save the points for later
> use, kind of like a large number of point emitters...how should I take
> the samples, though? If I take them from the surface of a sphere toward
> the center of the bounding box, there will be a serious tendency for the
> center of the object unless it is hollow and fairly spherical. Maybe if
> I took them from the three sides of a box...along each coordinate axis,
> in other words.

Could work but maybe you could specify some different types of sampling -
like the box method, point & bbox method, sphere & bbox method, random
points in random directions et al.

> This actually existed in the first versions of my patch, in fact, it was
> *the* first version of my patch, but I have removed it because it was
> too difficult to maintain while the rest of the patch was changing so
> rapidly...I do plan on replacing it, however.
> Hmm, particle density...I hadn't thought of that. I will need to write a
> function to compute this for particle fission/fusion anyway, so might as
> well include it...

Are U going to add propogation reactions like when a particle interacts with
a surface/other particle it creates new particles & changes in some way.

> BTW, one other problem with the particle_system pattern was that it was
> slow,since all the particles had to be calculated. I plan on adding a
> bounding structure based on recursively subdividing boxes(I think it is
> called an octree...) or planes(I have no idea what this is called) to
> speed up inter-particle force calculations, so that should really speed
> up the patterns...

What like ignoring particles so far away that the contribution is
negligible.

Another pattern could be based on the velocity & or direction of the
particles.

--
Bye
Pabs