POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Flickering Blob Problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Flickering Blob Problem (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: madkins84
Subject: Flickering Blob Problem
Date: 19 May 2000 22:54:06
Message: <3925FE83.3C99CD6E@netscape.net>
I am having some problems with a blob used in a POV 3.1 animation.
The blob consists of two spheres which are translated from <0,0,0> to
<-.25,0,0> and <+.25,0,0> during the animation.  However, when the
components first begin to separate, some flickering occurs around
their outer edges.  As they are separating, the flickering stops on
the outer edges, but the middle-section where the two components are
connected begins to flicker.  I would appreciate some advice -- I have
precisely no idea what is going on.  The file which I am using is below:

// MITOSIS.POV
// A Diploid undergoes Mitosis
// Zeichner 5/17/2000
// Version 0.1 -- Pov-Ray 3.1

#include "mitosis.inc"

camera {
  location <0,0,-1>
  look_at <0,0,0>
  //rotate 360*clock*y
}

light_source {
  <2,2,-5>
  color rgb 1
}

fog {
  distance 15
  color FogColor
}

>THIS IS THE BLOB WHICH IS FLICKERING
//The Cell
blob {
  threshold .3
  sphere { <0,0,0>, .5, 1 translate From(.5,<0,0,0>) Using("",1,1,"")
To(1,<-.25,0,0>) texture { CellTexA }}
  sphere { <0,0,0>, .5, 1 translate From(.5,<0,0,0>) Using("",1,1,"")
To(1,<.25,0,0>) texture { CellTexB }}
  #if (HollowOn) hollow #end
}

#declare NuTrans = transform { translate 0 scale .15 }

//Parent Cell Nucleus
divnucleus(18,3,rand(seed(10)),NuTrans)
//Parent Organelles
organelles(50,.01,.25,rand(seed(10)),1,0)

Post a reply to this message

> I am having some problems with a blob used in a POV 3.1 animation.
> The blob consists of two spheres which are translated from <0,0,0> to
> <-.25,0,0> and <+.25,0,0> during the animation.  However, when the
> components first begin to separate, some flickering occurs around
> their outer edges.  As they are separating, the flickering stops on
> the outer edges, but the middle-section where the two components are
> connected begins to flicker.  I would appreciate some advice -- I have
> precisely no idea what is going on.  The file which I am using is below:

I don't have time to troubleshoot this for you but you might try using
the "strum" keyword in your blob statement. It might help solve this
problem for you though it will likely take longer to render.

This is a typical usage of the sturmian root solver which gives greater
mathematical accuracy when calculating the blob object -

blob {
    threshold .65
    sphere { <.5,0,0>, .8, 1 }
    sphere { <-.5,0,0>,.8, 1 }
    sturm
  }

You are also moving the components through the applied textures instead of
having the textures applied first which might be causing some problem but
possibly not.  Depends on the texture.

Bob