POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Roller Coaster Animation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Roller Coaster Animation (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Steven Jones
Subject: Roller Coaster Animation
Date: 17 Feb 2000 16:13:47
Message: <38AC6489.1BCC3ED1@tsn.cc>
I'm trying to make an animation of a roller coaster and would like to
know how to use spline.inc to construct the track.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Colefax
Subject: Re: Roller Coaster Animation
Date: 17 Feb 2000 18:46:35
Message: <38ac885b@news.povray.org>
Steven Jones <ste### [at] tsncc> wrote:
> I'm trying to make an animation of a roller coaster and would like to
> know how to use spline.inc to construct the track.

If you're talking about my Spline include file for POV-Ray 3.0, then the
answer is DON'T!!  I really don't think the file is up to such things,
especially considering the improvements that can be made using the new
features in POV 3.1.

Fortunately I have a completely new Spline macro system (apologies to those
who are sick of hearing me say so!), which would let you specify the track
shape without worrying about control points, then create the track just by
specifying a link object to follow the shape of the spline, and then let you
automatically animate an object, camera location, spotlight, etc. along the
newly created track.

I'm *still* fine-tuning features as I go, but if you (or indeed, anyone
who's interested) would like a copy, I'll gladly email one to you.

Post a reply to this message