POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Parsing scene files in an animation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing scene files in an animation (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jon S  Berndt
Subject: Parsing scene files in an animation
Date: 8 Dec 1999 17:02:12
Message: <384ed564@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to get at least parts of a scene which do not change to be
parsed only one time as an animation is being generated? I have one object
which is 80000 triangles and parsing that each time is a big time killer. It
never changes, just translates, so it's safe to use a "stale" version each
frame.

Jon

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a way to get at least parts of a scene which do not change to be
> parsed only one time as an animation is being generated? I have one object
> which is 80000 triangles and parsing that each time is a big time killer. It
> never changes, just translates, so it's safe to use a "stale" version each
> frame.
>
> Jon

It is currently not possible with the official version and I am not even sure
that there is a patched version of POV-Ray yet that will allow you to do this.
I believe that Nathan Kopp and Ron Parker have discussed this in some detail
in the past but I do not know if they have made any progress yet to allow this
to happen.

Good news.  Go grab my latest compile (now called MegaPov).  I includes both
persistent variables and persistent scene objects.

http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

-Nathan

Jon S. Berndt <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote...
> Is there a way to get at least parts of a scene which do not change to be
> parsed only one time as an animation is being generated? I have one object
> which is 80000 triangles and parsing that each time is a big time killer.
It
> never changes, just translates, so it's safe to use a "stale" version each
> frame.
>
> Jon

Post a reply to this message