POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Making Patterns with functions Server Time
18 May 2024 11:06:16 EDT (-0400)
  Making Patterns with functions (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Making Patterns with functions
Date: 13 Feb 2024 20:00:00
Message: <web.65cc1037d81b8479f673154389db30a9@news.povray.org>
> > I'm going to try to post at least one new pattern a week, to keep some momentum
going.

I like this one.

It seems like you're getting pretty good at this.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Feb 2024 20:55:00
Message: <web.65cc1c56d81b84791f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> I like this one.

I do too, which is why I posted it.
It brought to mind the vintage Corelle plate rim pattern. (attached)

> It seems like you're getting pretty good at this.

I'm getting a bit better at finding interesting patterns and translating them
from other languages/syntaxes.

I still have a devil of a time with some of them.
Some I can't get to work at all, especially if I have to make lines, use x and y
at the same time, or try to make a parametric function based on atan2(y, x).

I'm also trying to figure out why sometimes I only get a partial pattern.
But they _are_ more than formless grayscale vomit, so there is definitely some
progress.

When I understand WHY things work or don't, and know enough to fix them, then I
will be lots better.

When I can invent such functions on my own, then I will be good.

But that was half of the goal of this - to try implementing so many functions
that eventually I found changes that worked, and could be applied to others that
failed, and iteratively get better.

I'm almost at 200 functions, and at some point I'll have (temporarily) run out
of patterns to copy, and can start investigating variations and combinations.

There also seems to be various common methods for making patterns, and perhaps I
can distill them all down into several macros to make rendering each method a
little easier.

Thank you as always for your interest, tutelage, and encouragement.  :)
- BW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'p0000016777s000000469617t1.jpg' (81 KB)

Preview of image 'p0000016777s000000469617t1.jpg'
p0000016777s000000469617t1.jpg