POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to make Elliptical Hyperboloid and paraboloid Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:08:02 EDT (-0400)
  How to make Elliptical Hyperboloid and paraboloid (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Feeler
Subject: How to make Elliptical Hyperboloid and paraboloid
Date: 4 Aug 2015 01:50:01
Message: <web.55c051fd5b0c230128e16ee0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to make a elliptical hyperboloid like

http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/08/04/55c051410afa4.png
and
paraboloid like

http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/08/04/55c0511271b75.png

As I was searching on POV-Ray I got
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/471/

Is there a good way to draw these two? Is there any macro for these?

--
Be yourself and make others happy :)
Feeler

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Aug 2015 03:49:36
Message: <55c06e90$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/08/2015 07:47, Feeler a écrit :
> I'm trying to make a elliptical hyperboloid like
>
> http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/08/04/55c051410afa4.png
> and
> paraboloid like
>
> http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/08/04/55c0511271b75.png
>
> As I was searching on POV-Ray I got
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/471/
>
> Is there a good way to draw these two? Is there any macro for these?

no real need of macro, your two objects are basic quadric.

If you get the equations for them, the transcription is easy

http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_5_3_6

For instance, a paraboloid on y axis, with circular base is

quadric { < 1, 0, 1> , <0, 0, 0>, < 0, -1 , 0>, 0 }

(To reverse it's direction, toggle the minus sign.
To translate it along the y axis, change the single 0 at the end.)

An hyperboloid can have 2 forms: one with a single surface (sheet),
another with two sheets.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hyperboloid.html

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticHyperboloid.html

quadric { < a2, b2, -c2> , <0,0,0>,<0,0,0>, -1 }

for an hyperboloid along z axis (a2, b2 and c2 being the squared
coefficients of the reference ellipsoid)

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm trying to make a elliptical hyperboloid like
> >
> > http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/08/04/55c051410afa4.png
> > and
> > paraboloid like
> >
> > http://img.ctrlv.in/img/15/08/04/55c0511271b75.png
> >
> > As I was searching on POV-Ray I got
> > http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/471/
> >
> > Is there a good way to draw these two? Is there any macro for these?
> >

> no real need of macro, your two objects are basic quadric.
>
> If you get the equations for them, the transcription is easy
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_5_3_6
>
> For instance, a paraboloid on y axis, with circular base is
>
> quadric { < 1, 0, 1> , <0, 0, 0>, < 0, -1 , 0>, 0 }
>
> (To reverse it's direction, toggle the minus sign.
> To translate it along the y axis, change the single 0 at the end.)
>
> An hyperboloid can have 2 forms: one with a single surface (sheet),
> another with two sheets.
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hyperboloid.html
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticHyperboloid.html
>
> quadric { < a2, b2, -c2> , <0,0,0>,<0,0,0>, -1 }
>
> for an hyperboloid along z axis (a2, b2 and c2 being the squared
> coefficients of the reference ellipsoid)

Thanks a lot. Its very helpfull to me. But these quadric equations formed
infinite hyperboliod and peraboloid. Is there a way to limit these to.
I have a starting point and a height point i.e. I have to make it between these
two point, is it possible?

Post a reply to this message