POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to make Elliptical Hyperboloid and paraboloid : Re: How to make Elliptical Hyperboloid and paraboloid Server Time
14 May 2024 15:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make Elliptical Hyperboloid and paraboloid
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 5 Aug 2015 01:28:33
Message: <55c19f01@news.povray.org>
Le 05/08/2015 05:18, Feeler a écrit :

> Thanks a lot. Its very helpfull to me. But these quadric equations formed
> infinite hyperboliod and peraboloid. Is there a way to limit these to.
> I have a starting point and a height point i.e. I have to make it between these
> two point, is it possible?

you can add the object modifier "clipped_by { ... }" to limit the region
of space in which an object such as a quadric is to be present.

for the paraboloid, the easiest value for ... is a plane (remember that
povray's plane are not just an infinite surface, it's also an infinite
volume splitting the universe in two).

You "just" have to position the plane at the "height point", with the
normal away from the starting point.

For the hyperboloid, a box is probably what you are expecting. The
delicate part is to compute the two corners from your two points.
(that's easy is the hyperboloid is along the axis, it becomes less easy
if it is rotated in the formula itself)

quadric { < 1, 0, 1> ,< 0, 0, 0>,< 0, -1, 0>, 0
    clipped_by { y, 4 }
         }