POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Enabling relative coordinate placement Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:49:34 EDT (-0400)
  Enabling relative coordinate placement (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Kene
Subject: Enabling relative coordinate placement
Date: 20 Sep 2009 12:40:00
Message: <web.4ab65a2cf8370660772dd76f0@news.povray.org>
Hi:

I am building a set of macros and hopefully functions that can assist an
architect in making a building using POVRay. I understand that I cannot export
2D technical sections of the resulting design but my hopes are that if I can cut
3D sections of the building, then I can wait until POVRay can support the
process more.

My hitch right now is that I cannot enable relative coordinate placement.

It is important to be able to create an object relative to the position of
another in architecture. For example a wall can be created with coordinates
<0,0,0> <150,8000,3000> (thickness = 0.15 m, length = 8 m, height = 3 m) then
rotated to 35 degrees and translated to <5000,1000,0>. It must be possible to
create a second wall at a relative position and angle to this one without having
to do the necessary calculation from the origin. For a professional activity the
work of redoing calculations each time a design is updated or reconfigured is
very frustrating, error-prone and time-consuming.

A macro can be created to automatically create the wall with the required
thickness, length, height, rotation and final position.

for example:
#declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness, Rotate_Angle,
Translate_Distance )

These are my questions:

1. Ability to create new object by referencing the location of another. The
placement of the new object is a distance or angle relative to the existing
object. For example to create a new wall by referencing the position of
BedRm_North_Wall
   - #declare BedRm_South_Wall = Make_Wall_Offset( BedRm_North_Wall, New_Length,
New_Height, New_Thickness, Offset_Distance )

2. Functions in a macro or that can get information from a macro
   I would like to be able to perform actions on a declared object. For example
instead of rotating and/or translating when they are created, these actions can
be performed afterward for example
   - #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
   - BedRm_North_Wall_Rotate( angle )
   - BedRm_North_Wall_Offset( offset_distance )

An option would be to write a new (text-based) tool to interface with POVRay
which may be necessary. But if I can do the above I will rather get work done
with the wonderful existing POVRay SDL.

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Ability to create new object by referencing the location of another. The
> placement of the new object is a distance or angle relative to the existing
> object. For example to create a new wall by referencing the position of
> BedRm_North_Wall
>    - #declare BedRm_South_Wall = Make_Wall_Offset( BedRm_North_Wall, New_Length,
> New_Height, New_Thickness, Offset_Distance )

Definitely not possible in POV-Ray, unless you write your own framework
(i.e. basically place another language on top of SDL) to do this sort of
things.

> 2. Functions in a macro or that can get information from a macro
>    I would like to be able to perform actions on a declared object. For example
> instead of rotating and/or translating when they are created, these actions can
> be performed afterward for example
>    - #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
>    - BedRm_North_Wall_Rotate( angle )
>    - BedRm_North_Wall_Offset( offset_distance )

you can define macros as:

   #macro Rotate_Object(Obj,Angle)
     object { Obj rotate Angle }
   #end

which you could then use like this:

   #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
   Rotate_Object ( BedRm_North_Wall, angle )

> > 1. Ability to create new object by referencing the location of another. The
> > placement of the new object is a distance or angle relative to the existing
> > object. For example to create a new wall by referencing the position of
> > BedRm_North_Wall
> >    - #declare BedRm_South_Wall = Make_Wall_Offset( BedRm_North_Wall, New_Length,
> > New_Height, New_Thickness, Offset_Distance )
>
> Definitely not possible in POV-Ray, unless you write your own framework
> (i.e. basically place another language on top of SDL) to do this sort of
> things.
>
> > 2. Functions in a macro or that can get information from a macro
> >    I would like to be able to perform actions on a declared object. For example
> > instead of rotating and/or translating when they are created, these actions can
> > be performed afterward for example
> >    - #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
> >    - BedRm_North_Wall_Rotate( angle )
> >    - BedRm_North_Wall_Offset( offset_distance )
>
> you can define macros as:
>
>    #macro Rotate_Object(Obj,Angle)
>      object { Obj rotate Angle }
>    #end
>
> which you could then use like this:
>
>    #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
>    Rotate_Object ( BedRm_North_Wall, angle )

Supposing the object has been translated to <1500,8000,0> my guess is that the
rotation you describe above will no longer work as expected. The wall has to be
rotated when created at <0,0,0> before being moved. Right?

Post a reply to this message

> Supposing the object has been translated to <1500,8000,0> my guess is that the
> rotation you describe above will no longer work as expected. The wall has to be
> rotated when created at <0,0,0> before being moved. Right?

  If the object is already at <1500,8000,0>, then what you can do is simply:

translate -<1500,8000,0>
rotate whatever
translate <1500,8000,0>

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > > 1. Ability to create new object by referencing the location of another. The
> > > placement of the new object is a distance or angle relative to the existing
> > > object. For example to create a new wall by referencing the position of
> > > BedRm_North_Wall
> > >    - #declare BedRm_South_Wall = Make_Wall_Offset( BedRm_North_Wall, New_Length,
> > > New_Height, New_Thickness, Offset_Distance )
> >
> > Definitely not possible in POV-Ray, unless you write your own framework
> > (i.e. basically place another language on top of SDL) to do this sort of
> > things.
> >
> > > 2. Functions in a macro or that can get information from a macro
> > >    I would like to be able to perform actions on a declared object. For example
> > > instead of rotating and/or translating when they are created, these actions can
> > > be performed afterward for example
> > >    - #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
> > >    - BedRm_North_Wall_Rotate( angle )
> > >    - BedRm_North_Wall_Offset( offset_distance )
> >
> > you can define macros as:
> >
> >    #macro Rotate_Object(Obj,Angle)
> >      object { Obj rotate Angle }
> >    #end
> >
> > which you could then use like this:
> >
> >    #declare BedRm_North_Wall = Make_Wall( Length, Height, Thickness )
> >    Rotate_Object ( BedRm_North_Wall, angle )
>
> Supposing the object has been translated to <1500,8000,0> my guess is that the
> rotation you describe above will no longer work as expected. The wall has to be
> rotated when created at <0,0,0> before being moved. Right?

OK I think I see you have done what I am saying. Thanks.
It looks like for the first question I have to implement a go-between script.

Post a reply to this message