POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Second radiosity pass takes much longer than the first Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:52:57 EDT (-0400)
  Second radiosity pass takes much longer than the first (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Second radiosity pass takes much longer than the first
Date: 9 Dec 2008 20:25:00
Message: <web.493f197e6ee36d9485de7b680@news.povray.org>
I'm using the following code:

   radiosity
   {  recursion_limit 1
      brightness 0.5
      count 100
      #if (Rad < 2)        //pass 1
         error_bound 0.5
         pretrace_end 0.01
         save_file
      #else                //pass 2
         pretrace_start 1
         pretrace_end 1
         always_sample no
         load_file
      #end
         "unfinished.rad"
   }

The first pass took 494 seconds, and the second took 1355 seconds.  Both passes
had the exact same settings: no anti-aliasing, no focal blur, no area light, no
micronormal, and the same image dimensions.

It appears to take nearly 3 times as long to reuse the data than to compute it
in the first place!  This more than defeats the purpose of 2-pass radiosity.
Is there another setting that I've forgotten that will keep my final render to
under 5 days?

Post a reply to this message