POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Defining a mandel function/ pattern WITHIN povray Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Defining a mandel function/ pattern WITHIN povray (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Defining a mandel function/ pattern WITHIN povray
Date: 19 Oct 2007 12:10:00
Message: <web.4718d5b659db5e5d40d56c170@news.povray.org>
Hello.

Is it possible to define a mandel function pattern within povray itself?
Basically, I'd like to be able to set a higher level. I am guessing that it
might be possible to write you own pattern to do this. One could insert a
higher level than the current 32000 limit, or insert othe equations.

Has anyone tried?   tia.

Post a reply to this message

> Is it possible to define a mandel function pattern within povray itself?

  Actually yes, with recursive functions. It will be a bit slow, though.

> Basically, I'd like to be able to set a higher level.

  A higher level of what?

> I am guessing that it
> might be possible to write you own pattern to do this. One could insert a
> higher level than the current 32000 limit, or insert othe equations.

  Is there really such a limit?

> Has anyone tried?

  In fact, yes. It's possible to use recursive functions to achieve this.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > might be possible to write you own pattern to do this. One could insert a
> > higher level than the current 32000 limit, or insert othe equations.
>
>   Is there really such a limit?

Render this SDL as an animation with two frames

// --- begin SDL

box{<-50,-50,5>,<50,50,11>
        pigment{
                mandel  32766+frame_number
                pigment_map{[0 rgb x][0.5 rgb y][1.0 rgb z]}

                scale 1
                }
        finish{ambient rgb 1}
        }
// -- End SDL

Post a reply to this message

> Render this SDL as an animation with two frames

> // --- begin SDL

> box{<-50,-50,5>,<50,50,11>
>         pigment{
>                 mandel  32766+frame_number
>                 pigment_map{[0 rgb x][0.5 rgb y][1.0 rgb z]}

>                 scale 1
>                 }
>         finish{ambient rgb 1}
>         }
> // -- End SDL

  I don't even expect to see any difference at that zoom level and with
such a small change in number of iterations.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I don't even expect to see any difference at that zoom
> level and with such a small change in number of iterations.

Neither did I.