POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sinewave wrapped around a cylinder Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  sinewave wrapped around a cylinder (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Leef me
Subject: sinewave wrapped around a cylinder
Date: 1 Oct 2007 03:00:01
Message: <web.47009a15630ef383892adb1d0@news.povray.org>
I have seen a drinking glass design that has metal embedded in it. The shape
seems to be a sinewave, or rather 4 periods of a sinewave.

I tried to create a shape that would be useful for this and to allow for
other uses, such as truncating a cylinder to reveal the sinewave on the
end.

Using the code to create a tube-like shape works fine. Trying to use this
tube to truncate the cylinder take much longer to render. And because I
used sphere to form the shape, the edge is somewhat beveled.

I saw gregjohn's thread "Describing a perfect circle with a spline" but I
don't understand much from that discussion.

Any suggestions on alternate ways to accomplish the difference or to create
the shape so that render time is reduced? Perhaps there are some simple
shapes that could be combined to better advantage.

I was trying to use a spline and thought it needed x,y,z coordinates, so I
never thought to use vrotate. Here is my code:

#version 3.6;

// this code creates a spline that represents 4 periods of a sine wave,
//  this spline is "wrapped" around a cylinder

// the difference object takes much longer to render when the 360 spheres
are part of the difference

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

// ----------------------------------------

camera {
        orthographic
  location  <0, 0,-25>
  angle 0
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

#declare ampl=1;
#declare pi2 = pi*2;
#declare pistep= pi/180;

#declare  zangle=0 ;

#declare sphere_spline = spline {linear_spline

#while (zangle<pi2)

        #declare radi=10;

        #declare zy = ampl*sin(4*zangle);
        #declare cosq=radi*cos(zangle+pistep*clock*360);
        #declare sinq=radi*sin(zangle+pistep*clock*360);

               zangle < cosq, zy*1 , sinq >

        #declare zangle = zangle + pistep;

#end

}

difference {

                // outside of cylinder
                cylinder {
                  <0,-5, 0>,<0,5, 0>  radi     open
                        pigment { color rgbt<0,1,1,.5>}
                        }

                // carve out inside of cylinder
                cylinder {
                  <0,-5, 0>,<0,5, 0>  radi-.1     open
                        pigment { color rgbt<0,1,1,.5>}
                        }

        #if(1)   // 0= disable spline, which reduces render time

                // spline to form edge of cylinder
                #declare ctr = 0;
                #while (ctr < pi2)
                  sphere {
                    sphere_spline(ctr) 2 //scale<1,2,1>
                        pigment { color rgbt<0,1,1,.5>}

                  }
                  #declare ctr = ctr + pistep;

        #end

#end

}

light_source {
  <0, 0, 0>            // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb <1, 1, 1>  // light's color
  translate <0, 00, -50>
}

Thanks in advance,

Leef_me

Post a reply to this message

> Any suggestions on alternate ways to accomplish the difference or to create
> the shape so that render time is reduced? Perhaps  there are some simple
> shapes that could be combined to better advantage.

Using a parametric object or isosurface might be less cludgy
than chaining spheres along a spline but not necessarily faster.
But maybe you can get away using a texture instead of geometry:

cylinder
{
   0,5*y,1

   pigment