POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : radiosity and no_shadow Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  radiosity and no_shadow (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: JSR
Subject: radiosity and no_shadow
Date: 20 Apr 2007 05:40:01
Message: <web.462889c2f45c142ed8ef73430@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I want to create an interior scene with radiosity and no lights. I have an
ambient sphere around the scene which would light the room. The idea is
that one wall don't block the light from exterior, but when I use no_shadow
flag it has no effect with radiosity and the image is black. On the other
hand, if I hide this wall (in order to let the radiosity to enter) then the
objects of the interior reflects the exterior white sphere.

It's possible to light the scene just with radiosity from exterior and
maintain the reflections correctly?

Regards,

Joel

Post a reply to this message

> It's possible to light the scene just with radiosity from exterior and
> maintain the reflections correctly?

The no_shadow keyword relates only to light sources, not radiosity. You
could use two-pass radiosity, with your wall absent on the first pass and
present on the second. Alternatively, MegaPov has a no_radiosity keyword
which should do what you want.

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> I want to create an interior scene with radiosity and no lights. I have an
> ambient sphere around the scene which would light the room. The idea is
> that one wall don't block the light from exterior, but when I use no_shadow
> flag it has no effect with radiosity and the image is black. On the other
> hand, if I hide this wall (in order to let the radiosity to enter) then the
> objects of the interior reflects the exterior white sphere.

POV-Ray currently treats objects for radiosity like for direct camera
rays.  In MegaPOV there is a separate no_radiosity flag though.

-- Christoph

Post a reply to this message

> I want to create an interior scene with radiosity and no lights. I have an
> ambient sphere around the scene which would light the room. The idea is
> that one wall don't block the light from exterior, but when I use no_shadow
> flag it has no effect with radiosity and the image is black. On the other
> hand, if I hide this wall (in order to let the radiosity to enter) then the
> objects of the interior reflects the exterior white sphere.
>
> It's possible to light the scene just with radiosity from exterior and
> maintain the reflections correctly?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joel

you could render the scene without the wall and "save" the radiosity info,
then put the wall back up and "load" the radiosity info... I believe that's
what they meant as a two pass radiosity.