POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Anamorph or square pixel? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Anamorph or square pixel? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: RusHHouR
Subject: Anamorph or square pixel?
Date: 18 Mar 2007 11:35:01
Message: <web.45fd6967b91d967747d3ae5e0@news.povray.org>
Hi!

Swedish national television is having a contest where you can send in your 1
minute animations. Well, to keep it short Im thinking of giving it a go.

In their specifications they prefer the format to be in "720 * 576 Anamorph
or 1024 * 576 16:9 square pixel"

Ok, so I'm halted before I have even begun... I dunno what anamorph OR
square pixel means! Or, rephrased, which one of the above comes out of a
POV-Ray render?

Ehh.. yeah, I hope you understand my question... :/

With great expectations ;D
//RusHHouR

Post a reply to this message

Le 03/18/2007 05:31 PM, RusHHouR nous fit lire :
> Hi!
>
> Swedish national television is having a contest where you can send in your 1
> minute animations. Well, to keep it short Im thinking of giving it a go.
>
> In their specifications they prefer the format to be in "720 * 576 Anamorph
> or 1024 * 576 16:9 square pixel"
>
> Ok, so I'm halted before I have even begun... I dunno what anamorph OR
> square pixel means! Or, rephrased, which one of the above comes out of a
> POV-Ray render?
>
> Ehh.. yeah, I hope you understand my question... :/

They are requesting mpeg encoding (right ?), with flagged pixel
ratio. (so, fine tune your encoding software, for them, that's all).

They are either expecting DVD native (Pal) definition (720 x 576) to
be displayed on 16:9 screen format, or basic computer screen (1024 x
 576, with square pixel ends up to a picture ratio of 16:9).

Remember to avoid the overscan zone in your production:
 - 10% near borders might be unseen (eaten by TV set)
 - 20% near border: no text/subtitle.

There is no problem for povray, has you can set the resolution
independantly of the view (for once, stay away of smart camera
settings using image_height/width).
So, make your camera ratio to 16:9, and either render at 720x576 or
1024x576 (depending on your encoder's capabilities: do some basic
testing, then make your choice).

You might appreciate some independant mpeg analysers to check your
setting.

Go!!! and good luck & fun!

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.

Post a reply to this message

From: RusHHouR
Date: 18 Mar 2007 14:20:02
Message: <web.45fd8fd143801c8b47d3ae5e0@news.povray.org>
Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 03/18/2007 05:31 PM, RusHHouR nous fit lire :

Great, great! File should be in .mov oddly enough. Probably becasue they
will also post it online.

Thanks a lot for your fast reply and help!

//RH