POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area light definition--some clarification? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:51:02 EDT (-0400)
  area light definition--some clarification? (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Kenneth
Subject: area light definition--some clarification?
Date: 18 Jan 2007 13:20:01
Message: <web.45afb91e64865268323b942f0@news.povray.org>
The POV documentation on area lights (3.4.7.5) has what seems to be some
ambiguity.  Here's part of the description:
"...it is approximated by an array of point light sources spread out over
the area occupied by the light. The array-effect applies to shadows only.
The object's illumination is still that of a point source."

The word "object" here is somewhat ambiguous. In one or several places in
the documentation, a light source, in general, is referred to as an object
(like any other object.) But in this context, I read it to mean the object
BEING illuminated by the light...although I'm not sure about that. Either
way, I'm a bit confused about this description of an area light being just
a "point source."

To better illustrate what I'm talking about: If I purposely place a typical
object like a box at the location of the area light, but offset the box
slightly, it appears to occlude part of the area light's illumination on
other objects in the scene. (The overall light gets "grainy" or spotty.)
Which leads me to conclude that the box is blocking some of the area light
array. And that it does occupy a certain spatial dimension, not just a
point.

Or does the documentation actually mean, in a literal way, that the
illumination from the area light emanates from just ONE point--as far as
the objects being illuminated are concerned? In other words, do the
illuminated objects in the scene "see" the area light as just a single
point?

Admittedly, these are rather arcane technical questions, probably of no real
importance. But does anyone besides me see the confusion here?

Ken Walker

Post a reply to this message

Le 01/18/2007 07:14 PM, Kenneth nous fit lire :
> The POV documentation on area lights (3.4.7.5) has what seems to be some
> ambiguity.  Here's part of the description:
> "...it is approximated by an array of point light sources spread out over
> the area occupied by the light. The array-effect applies to shadows only.
> The object's illumination is still that of a point source."

> Or does the documentation actually mean, in a literal way, that the
> illumination from the area light emanates from just ONE point--as far as
> the objects being illuminated are concerned? In other words, do the
> illuminated objects in the scene "see" the area light as just a single
> point?

I believe the document is speaking about phong/glossy/finish effects
generated on the object by the area light: the highlight generated
on a shining sphere would be identical with an <area light> or a
<point light>.

It might be different if instead of an <area light> object, you used
a real collection of point lights... but it might be slower, and the
difference might be small, even too small to notice.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.

Post a reply to this message

Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> The word "object" here is somewhat ambiguous.

  Yes. "Surface" would be much better.

> In one or several places in
> the documentation, a light source, in general, is referred to as an object
> (like any other object.) But in this context, I read it to mean the object
> BEING illuminated by the light...although I'm not sure about that. Either
> way, I'm a bit confused about this description of an area light being just
> a "point source."

  As the documentation says, the area light parameters are taken into
account only when calculating shadows. When calculating direct illumination
they are ignored (which means that in direct illumination it's just a
point light source, like everything you wrote in the light source related
to area lights was removed).

  (And no, this is not necessarily a good thing. It is just implemented like
that currently.)

> To better illustrate what I'm talking about: If I purposely place a typical
> object like a box at the location of the area light, but offset the box
> slightly, it appears to occlude part of the area light's illumination on
> other objects in the scene. (The overall light gets "grainy" or spotty.)
> Which leads me to conclude that the box is blocking some of the area light
> array. And that it does occupy a certain spatial dimension, not just a
> point.

  The box casts a shadow, which is calculated from the area light
parameters. Naturally if you want the shadow to be any good, with
the box being so close to the light source, you'll have to make the
area light quite dense and use a high 'adaptive' value (or not use
it all, which will naturally make the whole rendering quite slower).

> Or does the documentation actually mean, in a literal way, that the
> illumination from the area light emanates from just ONE point--as far as
> the objects being illuminated are concerned? In other words, do the
> illuminated objects in the scene "see" the area light as just a single
> point?

  Whether the objects "see" the light source is determined by the
shadow calculations, which takes into account area light paramters.
  Once povray calculates that the object indeed "sees" the light
source (even if partially) then it calculates the illumination using
only the point light source part of the light.

  Btw, as a curiosity: If you are wondering whether it makes any
considerable difference whether the direct lighting is calculated
as a point light source or as an area light, the answer is that in
some scenes it makes a big difference:

http://warp.povusers.org/images/arealight.jpg
http://warp.povusers.org/images/lightgrid.jpg

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I believe the document is speaking about phong/glossy/finish effects
> generated on the object by the area light: the highlight generated
> on a shining sphere would be identical with an <area light> or a
> <point light>.

  No, it's talking about *all* direct illumination.

> and the
> difference might be small, even too small to notice.

  It's easy to construct a scene where the difference is very notable.
As I already quoted in my previous post to this thread: