POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area light definition--some clarification? : Re: area light definition--some clarification? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:58:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area light definition--some clarification?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 18 Jan 2007 13:35:24
Message: <45afbdec$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/18/2007 07:14 PM, Kenneth nous fit lire :
> The POV documentation on area lights (3.4.7.5) has what seems to be some
> ambiguity.  Here's part of the description:
> "...it is approximated by an array of point light sources spread out over
> the area occupied by the light. The array-effect applies to shadows only.
> The object's illumination is still that of a point source."

> Or does the documentation actually mean, in a literal way, that the
> illumination from the area light emanates from just ONE point--as far as
> the objects being illuminated are concerned? In other words, do the
> illuminated objects in the scene "see" the area light as just a single
> point?

I believe the document is speaking about phong/glossy/finish effects
generated on the object by the area light: the highlight generated
on a shining sphere would be identical with an <area light> or a
<point light>.

It might be different if instead of an <area light> object, you used
a real collection of point lights... but it might be slower, and the
difference might be small, even too small to notice.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.