POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : GIS and forestry data to POVray? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  GIS and forestry data to POVray? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: JohnnyH
Subject: GIS and forestry data to POVray?
Date: 31 Oct 2006 16:20:01
Message: <web.4547bcf517a77b93f76979540@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
I am totally new to POV-ray, but the images totally blow me away.
Especially these two (as I work in forestry):
http://www.povray.org/community/hof/Bush.php
http://hof.povray.org/Boreal_big.html

I have a few basic questions to try and help me figure out if POV-ray will
work for my profession.
1. I know that GRASS GIS (http://grass.itc.it/) has an export to POV-ray.
SO, if I had POV point coordinates for 15,000 objects (much fewer would be
visible) planted on a DEM for an entire landscape.  Would the render be
possible or practical without a render farm?  The objects are Xfrog trees.
2. Same scenario, only with many more objects.  Say 500,000 trees, shrubs
and grasses.  Would such a render be possible?

I would very much like to apply this level or realism to my projections.
Basically, I run models of how tree stands will change over time, with
certain variables (thinning based on species/size, fire, insect
infestation...)  I think with enough work, I might be able to apply the
mathematics into POVray.  Which would be great!

Thanks all!

Post a reply to this message