POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Chris Colefax's Object Bender -- SLOW!!! Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Chris Colefax's Object Bender -- SLOW!!! (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: SharkD
Subject: Chris Colefax's Object Bender -- SLOW!!!
Date: 3 Jun 2010 05:19:19
Message: <4c077397@news.povray.org>
This script seems to be incredibly slow (3.6.2). Why is that? Any tips
on speeding up renders?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Chris Colefax's Object Bender -- SLOW!!!
Date: 3 Jun 2010 08:28:07
Message: <4c079fd7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/06/2010 11:19, SharkD a écrit :
> This script seems to be incredibly slow (3.6.2). Why is that? Any tips
> on speeding up renders?

You mean slow to parse or to render ?
If "Render", it's normal.
To perform the bending, the bent object is duplicated a lot of time
inside a CSG.
So, if the basic object is already slow... it can only get worst.

For instance, a sphere is quick... a superellipsoid is a bit slow... any
complex CSG with slow object is even more slow.

Also, given the higher number of end-objects, you might be running into
the swap... which is always bad.

Alternative approach: convert to mesh, deform the mesh and render... but
that's cheating.

>> This script seems to be incredibly slow (3.6.2). Why is that? Any tips
>> on speeding up renders?
>
> You mean slow to parse or to render ?
> If "Render", it's normal.
> To perform the bending, the bent object is duplicated a lot of time
> inside a CSG.
> So, if the basic object is already slow... it can only get worst.
>
> For instance, a sphere is quick... a superellipsoid is a bit slow... any
> complex CSG with slow object is even more slow.
>
> Also, given the higher number of end-objects, you might be running into
> the swap... which is always bad.
>
> Alternative approach: convert to mesh, deform the mesh and render... but
> that's cheating.

Yes, I meant while rendering, sorry! I'm trying to use Object Blender in
conjunction with CityGen to create a city that is wrapped inside a
cylinder. Normally, the scene renders in about 5-10mins, but when using
the bent macro I think it rendered one line every hour! (1024x512px)

This is way too slow, so an alternative (and probably better) option
would be to rewrite CityGen to create buildings in the appropriate
shapes and dimensions (i.e. with sloping sides).

But this is also a lot of work, so I decided to "fake" everything and am
instead just using thin strips of normally proportioned buildings and am
rotating them around the z-axis so that their placement corresponds to a
cylinder. Hopefully the result is sufficiently convincing.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, I meant while rendering, sorry! I'm trying to use Object Blender in
> conjunction with CityGen to create a city that is wrapped inside a
> cylinder. Normally, the scene renders in about 5-10mins, but when using
> the bent macro I think it rendered one line every hour! (1024x512px)
>
> This is way too slow, so an alternative (and probably better) option
> would be to rewrite CityGen to create buildings in the appropriate
> shapes and dimensions (i.e. with sloping sides).
>
> But this is also a lot of work, so I decided to "fake" everything and am
> instead just using thin strips of normally proportioned buildings and am
> rotating them around the z-axis so that their placement corresponds to a
> cylinder. Hopefully the result is sufficiently convincing.
>

> Mike

It also ate up all my RAM!

--
http://isometricland.com