POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to kill render speed (or to revive it again?) Server Time
27 Jun 2024 14:33:48 EDT (-0400)
  How to kill render speed (or to revive it again?) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: How to kill render speed (or to revive it again?)
Date: 24 Nov 2009 03:32:10
Message: <4b0b9a0a$1@news.povray.org>
Certain combinations in a scene are sure to kill render speed, even with
multiple cores. In a scene I am working on I am using radiosity, focal blur,
and a (blurred) object with media containing scattering, some emission and
density. When reaching this particular object, the render drops down to a
crawl on my two core machine (using 3.7 beta 34). Maybe you have some smart
advice to give in order to boost up the render a bit? Here are the code
details:

Radiosity:
      brightness       1
      count            100
      error_bound      1.0
      gray_threshold   0.0
      low_error_factor 0.4
      minimum_reuse    0.015
      nearest_count    1
      recursion_limit  2
      adc_bailout      0.005
      media            off
      normal           off
      always_sample    off
      max_sample       1.0
      pretrace_start   0.08
      pretrace_end     0.004

media in object:
  interior {
    ior 1.45
    media {
      intervals 1
      samples 10
      scattering {1, rgb <0.2, 0.1, 0.1>}
      #if (BallDensity)
        emission <0.01, 0.01, 0.1>*0.5
        density {
          spherical
          color_map {
            [0.0 rgb <0.0, 0.1, 0.2>*0.15]
            [0.5 rgb <0.4, 0.4, 0.2>]
            [1.0 rgb <0.6, 0.6, 0.3>]
          }
          scale 1.5
          warp {turbulence 2}
          scale 0.9
        }
      #end //of BallDensity
    }
  }

As focal blur I use Edouard Poor's 35mm camrea macro with the following
settings:
  Camera35mm_SetFocalSamples( 100 )
  Camera35mm_SetFocalVariance( 1/10000 )
  Camera35mm_Autofocus( CamLoc, CamEye, 38, 50, CentralObj )

Hope this helps to get an idea. Thanks for any advice.

--
All the best,

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Certain combinations in a scene are sure to kill render speed, even with
> multiple cores. In a scene I am working on I am using radiosity, focal
> blur, and a (blurred) object with media containing scattering, some
> emission and density. When reaching this particular object, the render
> drops down to a crawl on my two core machine (using 3.7 beta 34). Maybe
> you have some smart advice to give in order to boost up the render a bit?
> Here are the code details:
>
> Radiosity:
>      brightness       1
>      count            100
>      error_bound      1.0
>      gray_threshold   0.0
>      low_error_factor 0.4
>      minimum_reuse    0.015
>      nearest_count    1
>      recursion_limit  2
>      adc_bailout      0.005
>      media            off
>      normal           off
>      always_sample    off
>      max_sample       1.0
>      pretrace_start   0.08
>      pretrace_end     0.004
>
> media in object:
>  interior {
>    ior 1.45
>    media {
>      intervals 1
>      samples 10
>      scattering {1, rgb <0.2, 0.1, 0.1>}
>      #if (BallDensity)
>        emission <0.01, 0.01, 0.1>*0.5
>        density {
>          spherical
>          color_map {
>            [0.0 rgb <0.0, 0.1, 0.2>*0.15]
>            [0.5 rgb <0.4, 0.4, 0.2>]
>            [1.0 rgb <0.6, 0.6, 0.3>]
>          }
>          scale 1.5
>          warp {turbulence 2}
>          scale 0.9
>        }
>      #end //of BallDensity
>    }
>  }
>
> As focal blur I use Edouard Poor's 35mm camrea macro with the following
> settings:
>  Camera35mm_SetFocalSamples( 100 )
>  Camera35mm_SetFocalVariance( 1/10000 )
>  Camera35mm_Autofocus( CamLoc, CamEye, 38, 50, CentralObj )
>

> Hope this helps to get an idea. Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, POV has always been about the trade-off of quality vrs
render time. Just make sure that your scene looks OK with lower
faster settings before commiting to a long high quality render.

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> schreef in bericht

> Yeah, POV has always been about the trade-off of quality vrs
> render time. Just make sure that your scene looks OK with lower
> faster settings before commiting to a long high quality render.

I think I can get away with still lower media samples in this case...

Thomas