POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:51:06 EDT (-0400)
  Media (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: Media
Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:36:29
Message: <4528e2bd$1@news.povray.org>
Can anybody explain to me how the sampling parameters for media actually
work? This is one of the few areas where POV-Ray's documentation seems a
little unclear. (In particular, apparently there are 3 sampling
methods... but I'm really fuzzy on how they work.)

In particular, the documentation says that the default setting for
invertals is 10. However, when I put that into my scene, the render
slows down *drastically*. (And the image quality improves.) What's going on?

Also, do the sampling parameters still have an effect when you're using
media photons? Do the photon sampling parameters override that? Do the
media parameters control how much POV-Ray samples the photon map it's
already built? How does this part work??

Post a reply to this message

> In particular, the documentation says that the default setting for
> invertals is 10.

  The documentation is old in this regard. It lists the defaults for
method 1, but the default method is 3, which has different defaults.
  AFAIK this will be fixed in 3.7.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> In particular, the documentation says that the default setting for
>> invertals is 10.
>
>   The documentation is old in this regard. It lists the defaults for
> method 1, but the default method is 3, which has different defaults.
>   AFAIK this will be fixed in 3.7.

Ah, I see...

So do you happen to know what the *real* defaults are? (Obviously
method=3, so I'm presuming intervals=1 and samples=??)

Post a reply to this message