POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media : Media Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:46:34 EDT (-0400)
  Media
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 8 Oct 2006 07:36:29
Message: <4528e2bd$1@news.povray.org>
Can anybody explain to me how the sampling parameters for media actually
work? This is one of the few areas where POV-Ray's documentation seems a
little unclear. (In particular, apparently there are 3 sampling
methods... but I'm really fuzzy on how they work.)

In particular, the documentation says that the default setting for
invertals is 10. However, when I put that into my scene, the render
slows down *drastically*. (And the image quality improves.) What's going on?

Also, do the sampling parameters still have an effect when you're using
media photons? Do the photon sampling parameters override that? Do the
media parameters control how much POV-Ray samples the photon map it's
already built? How does this part work??