POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : High Dynamic Range POV-Ray output. : Re: High Dynamic Range POV-Ray output. Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:52:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High Dynamic Range POV-Ray output.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Jan 2004 14:22:05
Message: <pov2e1-s0p.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Alex Kluchikov wrote:
>  Hello.
>  I am working on POV-Ray patch it to create additional file with float pixel
> values. I blanked ClipColour function to do nothing, so, now normal POV-Ray
> output looks malcoloured, but we have file with float values of r,g,b,t and,
> may be, some other (e.g. surface depth) and can use some software to
> manipulate.
>  I am also on developing application to view such files, adjust
> brightness/contrast values, do different post-processing (e.g. lens effects
> and dynamic processing), save result in some image format, etc.
>  For example, we can set phong value above 1 and receive highlight spot of
> pixels with colours value about 2. Then clip colours of all image pixels to
> be in range 1..+infinity, normalize the result and scale it to range 0..1,
> Gaussian and motion blur the image and combine it with original - we have
> highlight glow with some lens effect.
>  The work is in progress, and I have some samples to show. Currently I have
> no implementation of Gaussian and motion blurs, so, I was to do it in
> Photoshop.
>  I post samples in p.b.i.
>  Is anybody interested, has advises or suggestions?
>  Or, may be, I am doing work somebody has done?

My suggestion would be to wait until next MegaPOV (which will come after
POV-Ray 3.6).

Some additional notes:

- floating point binary output is somewhat critical in terms of
portability so it would not be a good idea to make it the only available
format.
- some of the manipulations you mention could better be done internally
in POV - this would avoid introducing new proprietary file formats and
and specialized programs.  Next MegaPOV will contain a new post
processing feature for this as well.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______