POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface troble : Re: Isosurface troble Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface troble
From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Aug 2002 12:50:08
Message: <pkj2lu8qbf9l05ccdf8lpd116lme0ufe7v@4ax.com>
On 6 Aug 2002 17:02:17 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  Of course this raises the question why do you want to use an isosurface
>to create a heightfield at all?

Because I want to have the sides of the HF as well. I spent a whole
afternoon trying to resurrect the old HF clipping trick that I used so
often in the past, but I just can't get it to work anymore.

The render times are not impossible with a 16-bit grayscale PNG image
as a source and interpolate 4. The render time for my last picture was
just over 16 hours with two such isosurfaces, one of them refractive
and filled with media, and nested in a refractive CSG object, and well
over 5000000 photons. 16hr is not that bad for such a monster,
especially on a puny computer like my 400 MHz K6.

I ditched the idea and used a ridged multifractal function instead,
just because I couldn't make the HF I wanted in WorldMachine.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg