POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Oct 2008 00:06:49
Message: <pk68f414suanvvg6fe1k1jgnsnjr0ns8ui@4ax.com>
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:26:05 +0200, "Gail" <gail (at) sql in the wild (dot) co
[dot] za> wrote:

>"Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> Gail wrote:
>>> Next thing I was sitting with my back to the wall of the server cupboard
>>
>> Wow. I'm glad we only use half the voltage here. I've been shocked a few
>> times in the US, and while it leaves you shaking a bit, I can't imagine it
>> being bad enough to knock you down.
>
>It didn't really. I was sitting on the floor fiddling with the server. It
>knocked me back about half a metre

You probably threw yourself back and it wasn't the electric shock. Working in
the business I have had more shocks than I can remember from 110 Vac tingles to
a 660 Vac wallop from a 3 phase distribution board. The most painful was when a
loose strand of wire pricked my finger with the power off and I hurt my hand
against the case getting it out of there. I knew the power was off but try
telling that to your reactions :)
I once got a 500 Vdc belt that lifted my feet off the ground even though I was
standing on a rubber mat and wearing insulating boots. As we all know ac throws
you off and dc makes you grab on so it was a reaction that made me jump
incidentally breaking the contact with the supply. It sure does waken you up ;)
Here are a couple of tips for everyone when working on live equipment. Wear
insulating footwear and keep one hand in your pocket. That way the current is
less likely to find a path through your body.

Incidentally when you see medics using that "Stand Clear, Stand Clear" electric
defibrillator. They are not starting the heart but stopping it. Think on :)
--

Regards
     Stephen