POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possibility to assign photons to certain material? : Re: Possibility to assign photons to certain material? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possibility to assign photons to certain material?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Feb 2004 06:00:08
Message: <pgpmf1-46d.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> [...]
>
> Of course, but I don't see the difference. You'll get equally big
> troubles if you assign target keyword straight to an infinite object or
> if you assign photon enabled material to the same object - no
> difference. I don't think making materials capable of being targets
> would make things any worse in that respect

But materials can't be targets, only objects can.  The only way you can
implement this is to make every object somehow 'inherit' the photon
settings of its material.  But this would not be obvious to the user so
it will just cause confusion in most cases.

> The point is just to make it easier to link certain things together with
> more freedom than now. Usually if someone has glass objects in a scene
> it is most likely he wants them all to show photon caustics.

Most likely not.  For efficiency you will only use photons on those
objects where the caustics are visible in the scene.  Glass objects out
of direct view that are only visible as reflections in other shapes for
example will probably not use photons.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______