POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : best way to plot 3D density field : Re: best way to plot 3D density field Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: best way to plot 3D density field
From: Dr  paul Fons
Date: 6 Aug 2001 02:24:12
Message: <pfons-0608011524110001@etld1220.a02.aist.go.jp>
In article <3B6DF7DC.2CC33041@global2000.net>, Andrea Ryan
<ary### [at] global2000net> wrote:

> Maybe a heightfield would work.  There is an example in the tutorial
> section of the documentation.  If you can format your data as an image
> of varying color, you could use it for a heightfield.  Heightfields are
> just special meshes that take the vertical positions of their triangles
> from the image file.  The documentation has some details.
>
> If you data is in a text file, you could try using the file functions
> like #fopen and #read to access it and use it as the heights of
> cylinders or boxes arranged in an array.  I have seen something like
> this on http://www.webelements.com/ .  They have images that use
> cylinders and boxes of different heights to show how properties of
> chemical elements differ.
>
> Brendan Ryan

 Pardon my ignorance, but a heightfield would seem to imply a
two-dimensional surface with an array of height data e.g. fz(x,y).  What I
have is actually a four dimensional set of data Fintensity(x,y,z).
(actually the data is complex so the data is five dimensional)  For the
moment I just want to plot the intensity (perhaps the phase as color
later) for a mesh of points in three-space.  I have just played around
with a glow demo in MacMegaPOV and it seems like a possible solution -
next would be to set up a camera and stroll around the object to generate
an animation (e.g. quicktime or such).  Another possible solution would
seem to be to generate an isosurface from the numerical data. This way the
symmetry of the data would be clearer - perhaps a combination of two such
techniques would be best.  Someone must have done something like this
before and have an opinion -- e.g. plotting temperature data in three
space or some such.  Any opinions are more than welcome.  I definately do
*not* know what I am doing with POV so any opinions are most welcome.
         Paul Fons
         pfo### [at] maccom
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology