POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition : Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 2 Apr 2004 22:59:03
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-E694B9.13590003042004@news.povray.org>
> >   If they allow post-processing then it's not a rendering competition
> > anymore. It's a computer graphics competition.
> Depends on the type of post-processing. If it's done by hand, I'd
> disallow it. Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

These are by no means easy questions especially for IRTC. For example,
entries using programs such as 3DStudioMax, Lightwave, Softimage, Maya,
etc may well have no "raytracing" involved and it would be pretty hard
to determine for sure if they did or not. Doesn't this make their entry
to the IRayTracingC problematic. Add to that the large degree of post
processing these packages allow, sometimes it is not even obvious whether
a rendering option is going to be performed as part of the rendering
(at least that aspect of rendering that involves analysis of the 3D
geometry) and which is post processing on the rendered image.

--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au