POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help/queston about df3 media : help/queston about df3 media Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  help/queston about df3 media
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 4 Oct 2004 04:16:10
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-6666A2.18160904102004@news.povray.org>
Someone (thanks Warp) pointed out in a posting a few days
that the df3 file format in PovPray had been expanded to
handle other than 1 byte voxels, I have no idea how I missed
that improvement!

I have a project which I had decided not to use PovRay for
because I figured there wasn't going to be enough voxel
dynamic range, that has all changed. So I converted the
data and it turns out that the data cube is periodic so
it can be tiled in 3D space. Unfortunately when I tiled
my volume (cube containing df3 media) it got the following.
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/tmp/tiled.jpg

So, is it me or some limitation (implementation fact of
life) with media. In case you can't tell, I am expecting
to see a continuous volume without the dark regions around
the central instance of the volume.

All the source that matters should be below.

#declare NVOL = 200;  // Number of cells
#declare WW = 25;     // Final size
#declare cosmologymedia = interior {
   media {
      intervals 100
      ratio 0.5
      samples 2,2
      method 2
      emission 60 * <1,1,1> / NVOL
      absorption <0,0,0>
      scattering { 1, <0,0,0> }
      confidence 0.999
      variance 1/1000
      density {
         density_file df3 "p0100.df3"
         interpolate 1
         color_map {
            [0.00 rgb <0,0,0>]
            [0.01 rgb <1,0,0>]
            [0.02 rgb <1,1,0>]
            [1.00 rgb <1,1,1>]
         }
      }
   }
}

#declare onecell = object {
   box {
      <0,0,0>, <1,1,1>
      pigment { rgbf 1 }
      interior { cosmologymedia }
      hollow
      translate <-0.5,-0.5,-0.5>
      scale 2*WW // Final dataset is +- WW
   }
}

union {
   object { onecell translate <0,-2*WW,0> }
   object { onecell translate <0,2*WW,0> }
   object { onecell translate <0,0,-2*WW> }
   object { onecell translate <0,0,2*WW> }
   object { onecell translate <0,0,0> }
}

--