POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : A good modeler : Re: A good modeler Server Time
17 May 2024 00:52:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good modeler
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Dec 2006 15:22:30
Message: <pan.2006.12.06.18.44.20.201954@nospam.com>
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:08:26 +0200, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> How about combination of echo, cat, grep, tail, head? ;)

That works.  Long command lines with lots of pipes. ;-)

> Well yes, I usually write my SDL with Vim and Nano.

I haven't gotten to that point yet - most of what I do is just goofing
around with a modeller myself (like Moray, Blender, or Wings) just to see
what I can come up with visually.  One of these days, I'll sit down and
learn SDL properly so I can do that.

I was once an engineering student, had to learn drafting and CAD, and most
of the time that helps me.  But I mentioned "vi" because (a) it's my
favourite editor, and (b) the comment about "there's nothing you can't do

you can't do with vi or cat > file.pov for that matter, it's just a matter
of patience.

But I also think there are probably things you can't do with a modeller,
like write procedural POV code for (for example) certain types of textures.  :-)

Jim