POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3D Mesh Painting Software : Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:47:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Mesh Painting Software
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Aug 2006 21:21:53
Message: <pan.2006.09.01.01.21.52.587896@nospam.com>
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:19:01 -0400, Kyle wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:28:35 -0600, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom>
> wrote:
>
>>I've not tried it, but I understand that there's a way to "unwrap" a mesh
>>in Blender (which can import Wavefront obj files, which Wings can export)
>>so you can paint it with something like the Gimp or other similar tools.
>>
>>Jim
>

> Ahh, yes.  Blender, the powerful app with the wacky, frustrating
> interface.  I've had it installed on my system for about a year now, but
> I've only given it about 1/2 hour of usage time, due 100% to its
> unconventional interface.  Maybe I'll fire it up again and see what I can
> figure out.  Or, maybe I'll just finally uninstall it.  :-)

Try out 2.42 - I've found the user interface a bit easier, though it could
just be that I've gotten used to it, too.  It does really get easier the
more you use it - but I'm still working through things like textures - I
tend to use wings3D and Blender in combination; I've found Blender doesn't
do so well with the type of modelling that Wings does (and vice versa).

Jim