POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : how can i run povray on a dual-core? : Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:42:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2006 20:42:32
Message: <pan.2006.08.15.00.42.29.654675@nospam.com>
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:23:20 +0200, Nicolas Calimet wrote:

>> Doesn't the niceness level adjust the timeslicing
>> used, or is that controlled by something else?
>
> 	Best is to ask Google  :-)
>
> http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=101760&rl=1

<G>  Or I could peruse the kernel source, at that. :-)

>> I have seen user
>> processes run away with a Linux kernel to the point the machines becomes
>> nonresponsive on the network
>
> 	I've faced litterally frozen desktops mostly when an user app started to
> swap like hell because of too high a memory demand.

Yep, I see that on occasion here as well - usually something like
beagled-helper most recently - I need to file a bug on that, but I swap so
infrequently that I thought the monitor applet was broken until that thing
started burning memory up.

Jim