POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : how can i run povray on a dual-core? : Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:10:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how can i run povray on a dual-core?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2006 12:45:23
Message: <pan.2006.08.14.16.45.22.816610@nospam.com>
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:29:51 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   I think you misunderstand. POV-Ray takes all the CPU time which is
> unused. If nothing else is using the CPU, then it takes all of it.
>   That doesn't mean that if another CPU-intensive program is started
> it would not get its share.

I think that would depend on the comparitive niceness levels, though,
wouldn't it?  POV-Ray doesn't yield entirely to another process that wants
CPU - they participate in a timesharing system.

If I start a render in POV-Ray and then launch xmoto (a fairly intensive
game), I don't get the same degree of smoothness in running xmoto with
POV-Ray running as I do with it running.  I can either suspend POV-Ray
entirely (ctrl-Z in POV-Ray's term window), or I can change the niceness
levels of either (or both) programs.  I still get some jerkiness in the
graphics in the game, but it's not as pronounced.

I've never observed POV-Ray automatically yielding processor to whatever
other applications are running on the system or tuning it's
niceness/priority level in the system.  If it does that, great, but I'd
love to know how to turn it on because it doesn't seem to be a default
behaviour; it seems to behave like any other application running on the
system.

Jim