POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : TRON Game Grid... : Re: TRON Game Grid... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TRON Game Grid...
From: Sebastian
Date: 10 Jul 2006 09:05:04
Message: <pan.2006.07.10.13.05.03.802846@gmx.de>
Am Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:06:25 -0400 schrieb Carl:

> I guess I should have been more specific.  I can make a nice grid.  Here is
> what I'm using at the moment.

I dont't quite get why you're using x and z in squares and I would use
abs(mod(x,1)) instead of abs(x)-int(abs(x)) but these are subtleties.
Actually I gave up to understand the function, sorry ;-).

> However I'd like a TRON grid.  In TRON the width of the grid lines doesn't
> narrow with distance from the camera quite as it should.  There is some
> narrowing going on but note in the gif I posted above that the narrow white
> lines soon fill the entire plane in the distance.  Its this effect that has
> now been copied in Realsoft 3D and I'm curious if POV-Ray can do it as well.

Ok, I missunderstood you then.
Indeed this is very interesting and looks better than the grid narrowing
which is prone for artifacts in raytracing.
I guess the best aproach would be the "Angle of incidence" pattern from
megapov but a cylindrical map that fades out with the distance should
do it as well (I don't have megapov installed at the moment anyway).

Here's a snippet from the texture which is used in the image in p.b.images.
The camera position has to be declared before. It is used to translate
the mask right under the camera.

#declare grid_fade_disc_rad  = 40.0;
#declare grid_fade_disc_pos  = <cam_pos.x, 0, cam_pos.z>;

#declare T_Actual_Grid =
  texture { T_Grid finish {ambient 0.1}}
  texture {
    pigment {
      cylindrical
      color_map {
        [0.0 rgb  grid_line_col]
        [1.0 rgbt 1.0]
      }
      scale grid_fade_disc_rad
      translate grid_fade_disc_pos
    }
    finish {ambient 0.1}
  }

Another idea is to alter grid_fade_disc_rad with the height of
the camera above the plane.

Regards,
Sebastian

P.S.: There's a demo scene in p.text.scene-files