POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 'Outline' capability : Re: POV 'Outline' capability Server Time
14 May 2024 11:40:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 'Outline' capability
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jun 2006 21:52:49
Message: <pan.2006.06.15.01.51.30.148471@nospam.com>
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:20:26 -0500, peter wrote:

> Thanks for the help here guys!  I actually tried the technique of drawing
> an object twice, 1) scaling it a bit smaller for my textured object  & 2)
> using the interior_texture of black for the 'other' object.
>
> It looks good.  Although it might look a little strange though depending
> on the camera view- it seems I will get an outline of varying width.

One trick that I picked up in a GIMP tutorial is to take the image after
it's rendered and load it up in an image editor (like GIMP); duplicate the
layer and blur it (I often use 5x5 IIR blur for something like this, but
it depends on the image size and characteristics as to what's effective),
invert (ie, photo negative) the blurred layer and set the transparency to
50% for that layer; the result is a grey image that has outlines of
what's the image.  Tweak the thresholds to give you an image that looks
to be moving to black & white, convert to greyscale, and then adjust the
thresholds until it looks right.  If done right, the result usually will
look like a pencil drawing.

Example at:

http://hendersj.dyndns.org/modules/Photo_Albums/Raytraced-Images/spikeball_fb_800_outline

The original raytraced image is at: