POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image_map with map_type CUBE ? : Re: image_map with map_type CUBE ? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map with map_type CUBE ?
From: bob
Date: 28 May 2006 12:02:04
Message: <pan.2006.05.28.16.02.00.400183@almost.bestweb.net>
On Sat, 27 May 2006 19:53:58 -0700, Ben Chambers wrote:

> mil01 wrote:
>> Is there a way to have default mapping of image_maps into "cube"
>> -mapping on
>>  normals of objects - like in " Flat/Cube/Tube/Sphere " in Blender ?
>>
>> only planar....?
>>
>> thank-you :-)
>
> You can change the map type.  From the docs, section "3.5.12.7.2  The
> map_type Option", you can read:
>
> "A map_type 0 gives the default planar mapping [...] A map_type 1 gives a
> spherical mapping [...] With map_type 2 you get a cylindrical mapping
> [...] Finally map_type 5 is a torus [...]
> Types 3 and 4 are still under development"
>
> I'm not sure if it's possible to use normals as references in to pigments,
> which is basically what you're asking.  However, the following might be
> possible:
>
> 1. Compute a function for your normals, based on the location of a point
> on the surface.  This is easy for some shapes (ie a sphere, where the
> normal of a given point is the location of that point scaled to be a unit
> vector), impossible for others (meshes), and somewhere inbetween for
> others.  If you know the exact shape you would like to use, you can post
> here and we will try to help you out.
>
> 2. Use this function as your pigment.
>
> 3.  Use a spherical image_map.
>
> ...Chambers
>
> PS This might be one of those times I'm full of it, so take this
> suggestion with a grain of salt.

map image onto a cube:

box {
  -0.5, 0.5
  uv_mapping
  pigment {
    image_map {
      tga "some_pic.tga"
    }
  }
  finish { ambient 0.5 diffuse 0.5 }
  rotate y*20
  rotate x*-20
}

You might want to peruse the docs for better & more detailed
information on this matter.

It could be that I have misunderstood the question, in which
case I am sorry and please ignore this message.

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependent on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with