POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Links Reorg : Re: Why so much stress? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why so much stress?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2006 14:17:03
Message: <pan.2006.05.12.18.15.42.942820@nospam.com>
On Fri, 12 May 2006 20:02:27 +0200, Sven Littkowski wrote:

> But that also applies if humans check each link. And since humans do it
> more seldom and not so frequently, the time for correcting a wrong
> decision is much longer.

I don't know how Chris and Chris are doing their validation (I'll let them
speak to it), but the way I'm validating the links I'm working on is to
try the link - if it doesn't work, I use Google and web.archive.org to
locate information about the site.  With web.archive.org, I look to see if
the last update includes a pointer to a new location.

I only mark a link for deletion if I can find no trace of the program any
more.  If I find a copy of the referenced program or site that's valid, I
update the link with the new link information.

That sort of process is not something that would be easily (I don't think,
I could be wrong) coded into a link checking program.

Jim