POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so : Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2005 21:35:18
Message: <pan.2005.02.12.02.35.14.731684@nospam.com>
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:11:32 -0600, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> This topic is just a dead end discussion as you
> won't get plug-ins in any official POV-Ray

Please pardon my butting in here, all due respect to you and the POV-Ray
team (been a user of the software for years, like many here I remember
DKBTrace and the running the early releases of POV on a 386 - in fact, I
bought a 387 coprocessor specifically for running POV), but just because
the feature won't appear in an official POV-Ray build, is there any harm
in those who are interested discussing the possibilities for an unofficial
build?

And if they managed to pull it off somehow, isn't there at least the
potential that at that time someone from the POV-Ray team might consider
it a valuable addition to the existing code?

I don't have all the history on the discussions on the topic in the past,
but I really don't understand why there is such apparent hostility towards
even the idea of discussing the possibility of how such an extension might
be accomplished.

If anything, for those who are either not familiar with
cross-platform coding practices and those not as familiar with the POV-Ray
code as you are certainly could learn a lot from the exercise of examining
this aspect of the code.

Just MHO, of course.

Jim