POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macros Database - Now only macros and/or library from : Re: Macros Database - Now only macros and/or library from Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macros Database - Now only macros and/or library from
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jan 2005 19:39:17
Message: <pan.2005.01.22.00.39.14.564406@nospam.com>
Heavily seconded, Michael.

I expect there may be some implications regarding a compilation copyright;
I remember years ago (the last time I participated in POV-Ray discussions,
in fact) on CompuServe, there were issues in another set of forums I
participated in where the company that owned a group of forums was
forbidden by a compilation copyright held by CompuServe from compiling
that information themselves.  It's very possible that without even being
aware of it, Mr. Medina has violated the POV-Ray team's compilation
copyright by not seeking their permission to do this prior to implementing
it.

As an author, *I* choose the context in which my works appear.  I've
looked at his site, and I'd much prefer my works to appear in a venue that
pays attention to details such as proper spelling and grammar.  These
things are important to me, because I wouldn't want someone viewing my
works to think that I write that way; I take great pride in my ability to
usually construct a coherent sentence.  As such, the context of my
renderings is important to me.

I don't expect any of my works to be the next Mona Lisa, but they are my
works, so I get to choose where they are put.  Copyright law says to seek
permission first, not to copy and ask for forgiveness after the fact.

<sigh>  I didn't want my first post to these groups to be a diatribe on
copyright.  Oh well, I guess now it's too late. :-)

Jim