POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available Server Time
28 Jun 2024 15:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available
From: Andrew Clinton
Date: 13 May 2004 20:20:23
Message: <pan.2004.05.14.01.20.55.129027@uwaterloo.ca>

>> About the computations, determining the neighboring triangles is needed
>> for subdivision. So it is a must anyways.
>
> That depends on the method used.  Most methods for doing on-the-fly
> subdivision (which is an interesting feature for a raytracer BTW) do not
> use the neighbouring triangles.

I've implemented this in my own raytracer, the neighbouring triangles are
required to satisfy boundary conditions for subdivision, unless these
conditions are specified manually (which is rather awkward).  The
implementation really is quite interesting, if you are interested check
out the paper:
http://www.seanet.com/~myandper/abstract/eg03.htm

Andrew