POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Tyler Eaves
Date: 7 Mar 2004 13:54:39
Message: <pan.2004.03.07.18.56.01.828037@NOSPAMml1.net>
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:16:59 +0000, IMBJR wrote:

> Anyone here willing to discuss the JPEG2000 format and its use in
> these groups?
>
> I for one, for obvious reasons, believe it is a valid format to use
> for a few reasons:
>
> 1. Reduction in file size with less loss in image quality. A bonus for
> a news server - esp' one that likes to carry as many of the images
> posted to it as possible.

Just use PNG.

> 2. Representation of 16-bit colour depth. Very good, since POV-Ray is
> capable of producing 16-bit colour depth images. The downside is the
> receiving machine's capabilites in regards to this, but at least the
> 16-bit intent is preserved. This perhaps has no bearing on the groups,
> but nether-the-less it is a bonus of the format.

I've never seen consumer level video hardware or displays capable of
displaying more than 8-bit per color.

> 3. Arguably less or less-infringing artifacts. JPEG's artifacts are of
> course terriable, but I think JPEG2000 addresses this in a sensible
> fashion. However, personally, I'm still not sure if what appears to be
> a more blurring type of artifact is the right way to go. How this
> relates to the newsgroups is that of course the groups are not really
> meant for best quality images, but at least the introduction of less
> artifacts shows off the artist's work in a better manner.

Again, just use PNG if your're that concerned about quality, and be done
with any concerns about artifacts once and for all. As a bonus, PNGs are
viewable on anything resembling a modern workstation without additional
software.