POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compile on OSX? : Re: Compile on OSX? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile on OSX?
From: David Burnett
Date: 25 Apr 2003 16:10:36
Message: <pan.2003.04.25.20.09.44.508950@ntlworld.com>
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:48:54 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:

>> Make et al are pretty
>> rubbish once you move out of x86 *nix land.
>
>   What do you mean by that?  As a Sun UltraSparc user I find that the
>   Sun
>  development tools are excellent.  Even the Intel port of Solaris is
>  very much a corporate full blown unix.

Perhaps that was a little badly phrased, its not the quality of the
programs mostly its just set up. In my experience there's very few
./configure scripts that actually end up with a finished product unless
you're on a *nix.

Taking for example the situation under discusion, the make setup for UNIX
povray assumes x86 only optimization options for a ppc only platform
(ignoring marklar for the moment). now as uname -p returns powerpc you'd
thing the ./configure would have the smarts to say hey this is powerpc let
get the right optimisation. Can anyone tell me if it builds properly under
PPC linux ?

Libtool can be a nightmare too for lesser know OS's like BeOS for example.
Until very recently libtool claimed that BeOS could not used shared
libraries, which was complete and utter rubbish.

Dave