POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : fuctions and uv_mapping : Re: functions and uv_mapping Server Time
4 May 2024 00:53:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: functions and uv_mapping
From: David Burnett
Date: 24 Mar 2003 12:13:46
Message: <pan.2003.03.24.17.13.10.896437@ntlworld.com>
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:49:12 +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> ABX wrote:
>>
>> uv_mapping is always defined in relation to geometry of some shape.
>> There is lack of shape in above example so no uv_mapping available. But
>> you can always use own user-defined functions which translates x,y,z
>> coordinates to some 2D coordinates in your preferred way.
>
> None the less it could be useful in some situations if usage of
> functions in pigments would allow both 3d and uv coordinates.

Thats the sort of thing I'd like, if functions where 'extended' so that
they passed x,y,z,u,v when rendering a uv mapped object or just u,v.

All this came from a uv_mapped 2D pigment function that I wanted to try
using as iso_function to 'displace' a sphere, to give that extra inch of
realism over using it as a normal function.

Dave