POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory limit & reset : Re: Memory limit & reset Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory limit & reset
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 3 Sep 2002 01:47:47
Message: <pan.2002.09.03.05.47.02.266473.210@gte.net>
On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 07:31:25 -0400, Thorsten Froehlich quoth:

> In article <3D7346FA.729D5BD1@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
> <chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:
>
>> Neat, but the data sheet says it only supports up to 2 GB memory on
>> board and what's 64 bit address space worth with only 2 GB memory.
>
> I know, but it is the cheapest available 64 bit workstation I know
> about. And applications will be able to use all the virtual memory the
> harddisks can provide.  The only other options would be the servers Sun
> or the many other companies sell, but the price tag is out of Ingo's
> reach, I suspect ;-)

He could get an SGI Octane2 workstation -- it has a 64bit processor and
can support up to 8 GB of physical memory.  Unfortunately, the system is
designed for triangle-based OpenGL graphics, so the processor isn't too
impressive: the fastest CPU available for it is a 600MHz one.  They run
about $15,000 to $30,000.

--
Mark