POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Neon Signs : Re: Neon Signs Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Neon Signs
From: Ed Jackson
Date: 31 Jul 2002 10:17:53
Message: <pan.2002.07.31.14.17.51.992920.17877@iastate.edu>
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:19:35 -0500, Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <ldt9kucftabnsnkp0b42rakvg6ihq508ro@4ax.com>,
>  Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:
>
>> >b) maybe use emitting media with radiosity to make madia realy emit
>> >light ?
>>
>> This could prove to be slow...
>
> A texture with a high ambient and maybe some transparency would be
> faster.

I tried to do this recently, and didn't have very good luck.  The neon
tube itself looks okay (not great) with a high ambient, but it doesn't do
as much as you'd expect for illumination.  Maybe my radiosity settings
weren't too good, but even with a count of 500 and an ambient as high as
10000, it was far from convincing.

Similar results with emitting media in a clear object.

I also never came up with a good way to control the density of the media
so that it would be highest along the central axis of the tube and fall
off toward the outside like a real neon tube.  (The tube was a complex
curve made with a sphere sweep).

	-Ed