POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage : Re: New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray webpage
From: Raphael Quinet
Date: 9 Jul 2002 15:40:00
Message: <pan.2002.07.09.19.39.59.526484.15266@gamers.org>
On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:09:51 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> In article <pan### [at] gamersorg> , Raphael
> Quinet <qui### [at] gamersorg>  wrote:
> > I am now posting a small screenshot showing the problem in
> > povray.beta-test.binaries.  This is not the most appropriate group for
> > that, but there is no other group for posting binaries related to bug
> > reports and I did not want to post this in the normal p.b.images group.
>
> It is a bug in Netscape 4.x on Solaris.  It does work without problems
> on Netscape 4.x on Mac OS as well as Windows.  I expect up(down?)grading
> to Netscape 6.x or Mozilla will help.

Yes, as I mentioned in my previous post I have verified that it works
with Mozilla.  However, Netscape 6.x and Mozilla can be installed only
on Solaris 8 (assuming that you have root access, which was not
required for Netscape 4.x).  They are not available (or not easily)
for the older Solaris 2.6 or 7.  This means that these users have
(almost) no other choice.

Should I assume that the problem on the www.povray.org pages will not
be fixed?

By the way, I would not really call this a "Netscape bug" because the
HTML standard does not specify the size of the submit buttons.  The
developers of IE on Windows, and Netscape on MacOS and Windows (and
maybe Opera) decided to use the same size for the buttons because they
thought that it would be more convenient for the web designers, but
this is certainly not required.  Compare that with some other browsers
such as the original Mosaic or Arena or Amaya and you will see that
all of them use different sizes.